Wednesday, 9 April 2014

CM Storm Ceres 400
A personal review by Edward Ang (KiwKiw)

This is only a personal review that I am making in courtesy of my good friend Regie Ong who provided this. I don't have a good background in my house and a DSLR to make this very simple review.

As you are all aware (I hope), the CM Storm Ceres 400 was released Q4 2012 and has been around for some time now. It is my first time be able to get my hands on a gaming headset.


Packaging




The packaging looks good with the usual CM Storm theme of red and black. Just to remind you that this is just a mid-range headset :)



At the back of the box is a simple description of the Ceres 400.




You can see the specifications of the headset at the side of the box. A booklet is also included inside for the key features of this headset. You can also click here for the direct link of the Cooler Master Ceres 400: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=10004


Meet the CM Storm Ceres 400 and Testing






As I took it out from the packaging, I was amazed on how light the Ceres 400 is. It is made mostly of plastic but it doesn't look cheap as the build quality is very good. Good work for CM on this one.

I also took the liberty on measuring the whole earpiece of the headset. It measured a big 9 cm in diameter. The outer part is rubberized. The pads for your ears will fit comfortably as it is made of some type of cloth with little holes for your ears to breathe out the heat :)



This is my favorite part, the CM Storm branding haha! Forgive my thumbnails :D


Now you may be wondering what jack is for the mic and for the headset. As you can see, CM did not use the usual or traditional way of indicating which is which but rather placed a color coding on the metal itself. Green band (above) for the headset and Pink for the mic (bottom)



Forgive me for not knowing on what is this called as I just naturally call it a volume controller lol! Moving forward, this "volume controller" has the roller "+" or "-" for increasing and decreasing the volume respectively. A feature for turning the mic on and off is also part of this volume controller hehehe.

Upon testing, the headset will basically fit your head or any head size in that matter as it is easily adjustable. The mic is semi rigid and is able to hold its place well without worrying about falling out of place during team conference/chats during gaming or any other activities that you can use this mic for.

Sound quality is crisp with very good clarity and bass. I first tested it on my iphone and played some music for a good 30 minutes and then tested it on my desktop and played some games for the same duration. I was impressed on how versatile this headset was because there are some headsets that are good for a few or specific platform only. I am limited with only my desktop and my iphone to test it so I am not aware on how will it fare on other mobile devices. You do not need to worry though because from what I read from other review sites, this headset will perform well on most (if not all) mobile devices.

The mic on the other hand was superb as noise cancellation was so effective that it cancels most of the noises in the background so you don't have to worry about playing Battlefield 4 or DOTA 2 while somebody would fart and you're on voice conference lol!

The only thing that I don't like much on the Ceres 400 is the roller for the "volume controller" as it can be adjusted quite easily when you suddenly bump it or an action that will create contact to the roller.


Conclusion

Overall, I am very much happy with the Ceres 400 as obviously this is my first gaming headset and I know that there are a lot more gaming headsets that offer better features than this with a corresponding higher price tag also.




At the price of 2300PHP ($49.99) this is an excellent mid-range gaming headset that has a lot of features and very good quality for its price.

Hope you like my first ever review :) feel free to send me some comments and suggestions on how can I improve in the future. Thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment